I’m very excited to announce that FlutterFlutter will be making a virtual appearance on Home with Lisa Quinn next month! My blog, and Juju Hat Tutorial, will be part of an episode airing on December 22nd on the ABC Live Well Network. Here in Vancouver it’s not available, but it’s aired nationally in the US, and rest assured I’ll be catching it on the web!
Entries from November 28th, 2011
Good Morning! We have a guest on the blog today! Welcome Joanna! If anyone is in need of some new lighting, read on for today’s giveaway!!
Hi there! I’m Joanna, a writer for Arcadian Lighting, the online go-to source for all things lighting. I love interior design, architecture and art. I spend my days finding the loveliest designs on the web and then sharing them through guest posts like this one about decorating with the charming look of chinoiserie for FlutterFlutter.
Dating back to 17th century Europe, chinoiserie made a comeback in the 20th century and is still going strong to this day. Whether it is a bold print on the bed or a Chinese-esque light fixture, a modern interpretation of classic chinoiserie can be found in the rooms below. Thanks for letting me share!
A simplistic, nature-based room gets a touch of chinoiserie with a bird motif on the bed. A retro light fixture adds interest.
This boldly-hued room boasts several examples of chinoiserie. A classic wingback comes alive with an Asian-inspired print.
Chinoiserie fabric panels give a sophisticated feel to this living space. A pair of table lamps add to the ambience of the room.
A beautiful powder room comes alive with a chinoiserie print on the walls that spills over onto a petit bench.
A single chinoiserie print pillow sets the mood for this Asian-inspired living room. Paper lanterns and a vase of cherry blossoms complete the look.
An accent wall in an Asian-inspired print gives this kitchen a glamorous feel. The unique pendant light above the table finishes the look.
A chinoiserie duvet gives this industrial space a classic feel. The trunk and suitcase at the end of the bed give the space a well-traveled look.
A delightful girl’s bedroom comes alive with chinoiserie-infused wallpaper. The print is sophisticated enough to age with the child.
What do you think of these beautiful, intricate patterns? Are you inspired to bring a little chinoiserie chic into your home decor? For fresh interior design ideas daily, stop by Arcadian Lighting’s blog! (Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
And now for the giveaway!
I’ve teamed up with Arcadian Lighting to offer one of you lovelies $75 to spend at Arcadian Lighting!! Does anyone have any lighting needs? I know I do!! Good luck everyone! The winner will be drawn this Friday, December 2nd at midnight PST.
1. Leave a comment telling me what kind of lighting you’d be shopping for!
3. Extra entry if you tweet about this giveaway, mentioning @flutterflutters & @arcadianhome
Today I’m celebrating my first year of blogging with a giveaway!! The winner gets to choose between a Large Faux Juju Hat or a set of Christmas Cards from my Etsy shop, FlutterFlutter Studio!! Which one would you choose?
After each entry, leave a separate comment on this post telling me.
Contest closes at midnight on Wednesday, November 23rd PST.
I’m introducing a new colour of yarn into the mix for my Etsy shop’s Faux Juju Hats! This soft pink, taupe & white yarn is beautiful, and would make a great addition to a nursery or girls room! A special thanks to Jessica for loaning me her daughter’s room yesterday!
Photo Credits: Rosa Pearson @ FlutterFlutter
I launched FlutterFlutter in November of 2010, so I officially have my first year of blogging under my belt! I’ve learned so much in this first year of blogging, and have met (virtually & in person) such amazing and inspiring people. Thank you for reading and all your wonderful comments! To show you how thankful I am, and to get you all into a celebratory mood, there will be some other firsts happening around here this week… and I’ll be bringing you some giveaways too!!
Today I’m off doing a photo shoot at Jessica’s house! She’s allowing me to steal a few moments in her daughter’s adorable bedroom so that I can shoot the latest colour addition to my Faux Juju Hat collection! I can’t wait to share it with you!
Photo Credit: Rosie @ Sweetapolita
Is it seriously Wednesday already?! Last week I was awarded a Versatile Blogger Award from Tanya at Dans Le Townhouse. Thanks Tanya! Part of winning includes sharing seven things about myself that you probably don’t know. So here goes!
1. I’ve been able to cross off a lot of things on my “to do” list in the evenings lately, such as launching a Facebook page for FlutterFlutter! All my latest Etsy items and promotions can be found here!
2. You may have noticed in the sidebar that Rosa Pearson Design is now live! I am a graphic designer by night, and in the few moments that preschool allows for. The site isn’t completely finished yet, but I hope to upload some more of my portfolio over the next little while.
3. While shopping at Scoop in NYC I discovered a new favorite item of clothing. Skinny jeans! I’ve never owned a pair until now because I thought only the pencil thin could pull them off, but I love them… especially with boots! Also loving Pinterest for fashion ideas lately.
4. I have a serious penchant for scooping up roadside finds… the idea of transformation makes me giddy. And yesterday I saw the exact same table that I picked up off the side of the road in a picture on Tanya’s blog (above). I told my hubby it was a good table! Solid teak, made in the United States.
5. I have been gluten free for almost two years exactly, and although it’s no walk in the park, at least I still have soup. I’ve been told by a certain four-year old that my squash soup is his FAVE… with potato leek a close second.
6. I recently started bootcamp with a bunch of the moms in my neighborhood. On the first day I felt like I had ripped every muscle in my body. I don’t enjoy exercising. I have so few free moments that it feels like a shame to waste them sweating when I could be getting something done!
7. I’m very excited! Jason’s plane just touched down into Vancouver! He’s been in LA surfing with a friend for five LONG days. We’ve surfed in Tofino together, and he’s surfed in Maui, but this is the first time in California! I’m SO GLAD that he’s home!!
If you’re curious, there are some more tidbits about myself in this post, from my last blog award.
Passing along this award to some super sweet bloggers:
- Michelle @ I Dream of Chairs
- Jane @ Modern Jane
- Sheila @ SZInteriors
- Sarah @ Prairie Perch
- Rebecca @ Nook
- Melissa @ The Insane Domain
- Heather @ Interior Groupie
- Tracey @ Keeping House & Everything Else
- Christine @ Just Bella
My aunt & uncle have been sending out emails every couple of weeks on the progress of the home that they are building out in farm country. Come December, when they move in, I hope to steal some shots of their amazing new home to share with you. The picture above is one of my favorites, from early on. Along with the picture updates, my uncle has been sharing his ever-growing Canadian Bucket List. Do any of you have a bucket list on the go? I didn’t, until I saw this video. I now have a strong desire to fly to Scotland, paddle out into the ocean, and wait.
Photo Credit: Don Logie
I hope that you enjoyed a fun Halloween this year! We sure did! Gotta love great neighbors, makeshift fireworks, and the faces of two very excited kids! I also love the beautiful little pops of orange throughout the house at this time of year!
Halloween at our house started with spooky pancakes. Jason used a turkey baster to free-form outlines of cat heads, witches hats, moons, and pumpkins, of course! He then carefully filled them in, and voila! I was pretty impressed by the pancakes, but my favourite was the costume he donned to welcome the kids that evening. Priceless.